As much as I hate going “back there” to my hardest days, I have come to learn that a huge part of my journey involves using what I’ve lived through to help others. Today I want to share a bit about the answers to my prayers, Medical Medium, and what started me on my path to getting my life back following a diagnosis of neurological Lyme and autoimmune thyroid disease.
My Late Teens, “PCOS” Diagnosis
When I was in my late teens, I developed “cysts” on my ovaries, was diagnosed with “PCOS,” and was told this could make it difficult or even impossible for me to have children AND would eventually lead to insulin resistance. This “tag” never fit but it was given to me because I had these “cysts” that were visible via ultrasound as well as painful periods, so I was put on birth control pills and sent on my way.
Years Later…Lyme Diagnosis
Years later, five short months after saying “I do,” I spent the weekend hiking in the woods with my husband. I woke up the next day with neurological symptoms. These myriad health issues included tremors, dizziness, ear ringing, heart arrhythmias, tingles, numbness, and electrical zaps in my hands, legs, and face. I spent the next FOUR years going from doctor to doctor to specialist—both conventional and alternative—and undergoing extensive medical testing. I was poked, prodded, sent to a cardiologist, hematologist (yes, they thought I had leukemia), nephrologist, endocrinologist, infectious disease, etc., etc., etc. I was finally diagnosed with Lyme. I tried medications, I detoxed, and detoxed. I played with my diet, I tried different supplements. I saw a slight improvement with several modalities, and several made me feel MUCH worse.
Even More Symptoms…”Autoimmune Thyroiditis”
Fast forward to my first pregnancy. At my 20 week scan, my midwife mentioned a concerning “fibroid.” I was told that she would watch it and that I should monitor for bleeding early on in the pregnancy (thanks for the anxiety attack).
After the birth of my first child, I had a laundry list of symptoms AGAIN. My kidney function was in a scary place. My TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was 95 (“normal” is right around 1.5.) I remember thinking that my body felt like it was minutes from just shutting off. My brain felt like I was on the verge of blacking out. I had received an “autoimmune thyroiditis” diagnosis, which made no sense to me. I didn’t have thyroid problems, I had neurological symptoms. I had shocks and buzzing in my head, tingling in my scalp, down my spine, on my face, in my feet, and in my hands. I had tremors like someone that has “Parkinson’s.” I had ocular migraines that would white out the room for 20 minutes at a time. The list goes on.
One night, I broke down and begged God on my knees for an answer. I didn’t think I would wake up when I went to sleep that night, and all I wanted was to be able to be a Mommy to my beautiful new baby boy. The next morning Medical Medium’s New York Times best-selling book popped up on my computer screen. All of a sudden, it made sense.
And guess what happened to that fibroid during my second pregnancy, it was GONE, confirmed by ultrasound!
I’m here to share the truth of what has worked for me… If you are struggling with a diagnosis of a thyroid illness or any autoimmune disease diagnosis for that matter – or if any of what you just read resonates with you – know that you can heal. Believe that with your WHOLE heart and spirit!!!! Nothing happens by accident and something beautiful will come from your struggles too!
Where I Started for Autoimmune Healing
Here is where I started! These foods and supplements can be helpful for all age groups and are a core part of the life-changing toolkit that Medical Medium has provided us.
- Celery Juice
- I started juicing celery every single morning to start my day off powerfully.
- “Celery juice is teeming with powerful anti-inflammatory properties. This means it’s highly beneficial for people who suffer from chronic and mystery illnesses, including conditions labeled ‘autoimmune.’”
- “Celery is perfect for reversing inflammation, because it starves the pathogens, including unproductive bacteria and viruses such as Epstein-Barr (EBV) that create it.”
- Lemon Water
- Approximately 20 minutes after drinking my celery juice, I drank a huge glass of lemon water.
- “Lemons are rich in bioflavonoids which can significantly boost the immune system and reduce inflammation in the body.”
- “Although lemons have an acidic taste they actually have a very strong alkaline reaction on the body and can help to alkalize blood, cells, lymph, organs, and tissues.”
- Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie
- This heavy metal detox smoothie helped me to rid my body of toxicity and allowed me to truly begin healing.
- Lots of Fruit
- I ate fruit ALL DAY LONG and still do. This includes red apples, oranges, and basically any fruit I can get my hands on.
- Fruit can be juiced or eaten “as is” at any time throughout the day.
- “Fruit not only prevents illness, it slows down aging, kills off pathogens, and heals our bodies on a cellular level.”
- The Holy 4 – Wild Foods, Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs/Spices
- These life-changing foods are critical for healing every kind of illness, symptom, or sickness today.
- Fruits (yes, again) and vegetables such as cucumber add nutrients while also helping your body to detox.
- Herbs are often underutilized! “Herbs are loaded with nutrients, minerals, and phytochemicals, and nettle leaf is a particularly indispensable one. This unlisted adaptogenic herb possesses incredible anti-inflammatory properties, and can be a great support for a run-down endocrine system.”
- Dandelion greens are also incredibly powerful. You can also include thyme,oregano, rose hips, Atlantic dulse, and all (edible) varieties of wild berries in your regular diet for improved health.
- Basic Supplements
- Individualized supplement protocols can be recommended by a practitioner such as myself, and are situation-specific; however, there is a foundational set of supplements that can be very helpful for anyone to consider. Book an appointment with me if you are interested in creating a custom plan that works for you.
- Zinc can help protect you from many diseases. “Maintaining healthy zinc levels can help shield you from pathogens and minimize future illness. Unfortunately, the more pollution we encounter, the more zinc we lose, and the fruits and vegetables we grow for food no longer contain this essential mineral.”
- Other notables are B12, DHA/EPA, Ester-C, Cat’s claw, and lemon balm.
Healing is Possible for You
It’s important for me to say that this list does not include every possible option, but it’s where I started! Making these changes and sticking to them is the ultimate reason I am now healthy today. I pray that if you are looking for answers and you feel like you aren’t healing, you are able to use this information to begin your forward movement. I know I am eternally grateful to Anthony William for putting such profound health information and pivotal truth out there, and for impacting my life, and so many other lives as a result.